Sunday, March 3, 2013

Delilah

~Delilah~


I have to say I'm totally crushing on this table right now. She's a dream and I ABSOLUTELY love her...so much that I really don't want to sell her. But lets be honest, I'm in this because I've got to make a few bucks...and if I keep everything I make, I go from an up-cycling artist to a hoarder - Uh, I mean, collector. Not to mention that my garage (and basement,and other random places the around the house) are packed to the gills with projects that need completed. So she's for sale. Clearly, I'm trying to convince myself as to why I HAVE to sell this table.

I found her at a local thrift store I frequent. An older lady owns the place and they usually have stuff that's in decent shape, and the price is right. This piece of crap was such a hot mess that I left the first time without getting it. The table top was wobbly and falling off, as well as really cracked up, and the legs had some gashes on them that someone had "tried" to repair. -"Tried" is the key word here. Oh- and someone had painted her this awful poop brown. Yes, I am 5. Whatever, it was ugly. But she had potential and she was curvy, which is clearly my weakness in furniture, so I went back a day later and bought her. She's super sturdy and heavy solid wood too, so that was a check in her favor as well.


I brought her home, took her apart, sanded her down...and then she sat in the garage for months (like 6 months, seriously) cause I was lacking ANY sort of inspiration. Long story short - I doctored up some Lowes "oops" paint to a paint color I really love, mixed it into a batch of chalk paint, repaired the table's issues, slapped on a coat of my gorgeous new custom color, and polished her off with a few coats of dark wax to bring out her imperfections endearing qualities. And Voila! - Inspiration! 


Just look at the way the wax brings out those beautiful crackles in the tabletop,and the imperfection in her pretty little legs - I'm Drooling!







Ever get a song stuck in your head? Random, I know. This is a serious, chronic problem of mine. Songs, jingles, whatever...once they're stuck I can't get them out. Anywhoo - this lovely lady got her name from the song Delilah by the Plain White T's. -There, now it's stuck in your head. You can thank me later. The song is so carefree and upbeat, and since I couldn't get it out of my mind the WHOLE. TIME. I was painting, I decided to name the table after the song and call it a day. 


She would be really gorgeous in an entryway, as a side table in the living room, or in a bedroom. In fact, I think she'd look really amazing on a sun porch with a yummy glass of lemonade and a good book --- Not that I'm saying that's what I'd do with her or anything....


**Update** --I'm so excited to announce this gal has been sold and will be traveling to live in Washington DC with her new owner!

No comments:

Post a Comment